Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sideways Hat

This is from the book Not Just Socks by Sandi Rosner. A really fun project for sock yarn. I think I will do another.



First you knit a scarf-type band, using an invisible cast-on, to go around the head. The pattern called for 36 stitches, but I did 40, and it only just fits my 8 and 10 year old girls. To make an adult size hat I would even do as much as 48 stitches. Then kitchener the band together.


Next you pick up a whole lot of stitches (130 or so) around the brim, and do 3 sets of a K row and a P row. Last, you pick up stitches in the same way around the top of the hat, and decrease in a fan-like fashion to get down to just a few stitches.






















All of the picking up stitches is kind of a nuisance, but I'm really happy with the end product.

3 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

lthough i would not wear a wooly hat(make sme look like Benny Hill) I really liek the look fo this. the colours are excellent.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Sheila said...

That is a fun hat. Great colors. I have not seen the self patterning yarns knit is something other than socks.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger smariek said...

Looks like a great way to use up remnants of yarn too. Can't wait for the day when my DD (now 2) can model hats for me, right now she can't stay still at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home